Friday, January 6, 2012

Post...First 6:30am class with Saraswati

Today was the first day of a led class with Saraswati at 6:30am....

I was feeling good this morning as I did get about 5 hours sleep last eve despite the symphony coming from the dogs and monkeys....

I was so looking forward to class....I must say to Erika....though I love the way my hair is no longer a distraction during practice....hence the braided hair suggestion....I so do not like the preparation I have to make before asana....to frustrating for me to braid my hair....but it works and it is fun too....so know that I think of you every day as I braid my lovely locks...

The past few days I have been practicing at Saraswati's house (a new shala location...much smaller and intimate than the main shala)....today led class was at the main shala....my first time.....walking in everyone is silent....signs reading please keep the silence....a massive ceiling, much larger than the space at saraswati's....you can feel the energy...the energy of the past lineage of all who practiced here before me.....the alter with photos of the beloved guruji....we all sit and wait for saraswati.....her presence is felt....I could feel her walking in...no need to see her visibly...everyone stands and takes samasthitih...bowing to the beloved teacher.....I get goose bumps as we take our first suryanamaskara.....the room is much bigger so I see I need to have greater focus on bundas to build more heat today....much easier in the smaller shala.....Saraswati's presence so powerful....penetrating....i feel so blessed to be here...in her presence....being led by her....she only counts....long counts....deep deeper into myself it takes me....deepening my focus...my bundas...my drishti.....the room is very still despite being full of people.....saraswati just counts....no silly direction of "now take your right inner thigh and rap it around your left butt cheek pressing down into the floor"....no distraction of a chatty teacher....just focus....I am feeling internally strong....holding the exhale of chaturanga....much longer...takes much strength today.....I get my first direction in padagusthasana....grabbed my toes before her direction.....no do....stop wait...she tells me....I learn.....remembering always what corey would say about led class....it is a time to follow the teachers lead.....the slow count today....making me work very hard.....Saraswati is stopping lots of students in mid primary....my mind wanders....feeling grateful for the help of corey and erika over the past few months....tweeking my practice to get it right....when we get to navasana....I think of Frances telling me how I need to lift....I think for sure I am going to get stopped....but no....I continue on....navasana very difficult again with Saraswati's count....very shaky legs today....I make it all the way through....just when I thought the challenge of my strength was over....we get to Ulpluthih....Holy s#%t....saraswathi's count feels like 25 breaths....not 10....just when I thought she did not see me cheating....I feel her energy come up behind me....no cheating...you lift....I smile up at her....she smiles back....time for shavasana....I am overcome with sensations in my heart center.....feelings of deep deep gratitude begin to rise.....for being here....in the sacred presence of this shala....the teachers....the students.....again my mind goes to Scottie....I am grateful for his guiding me to the path....the love in my heart for him so pure so real.....the tears flow.....once again I am cracked wide open....my heart continues to blossom....I am grateful....

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lorna, I stumbled upon your blog and thank you so much for writing this. I'm headed to Mysore in 3 weeks to study yoga. Unfortunately the shala you studied at is full. Do you recommend another one? Thank you so much for your advice :)

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Melanie....Thank you for reading my blog. It warms my heart to know it has helped you.

      Wow, the shala is full this time of year. It was full when I was there also.

      Unfortunately I do not know about the shalas in the area....maybe try google or your teacher may know.

      Sorry I cannot be of any help here....all the best to you and your journey
      seeing you in the light of love....Lorna

      Delete